On the 2022 World Cup in Qatar
I deleted my Twitter account yesterday given the garbage new owner and his unrelenting awfulness. I’m not interested in being involved with any of that crap.
Then I wanted to say something today about the World Cup and would have normally done that on Twitter. Oh well, I do have this blog and I can write here instead.
Other than this post and seeing summary results in the news, I will not be watching, following, or discussing this year’s World Cup. I strongly encourage everyone to ignore this garbage event and make it clear why.
Simply put, we have known for many years that the World Cup in Qatar would be a mess. We’ve known fully with no ambiguity that Qatar as a host country was entirely incompatible with freedom or justice.
We’ve known the stadiums were basically built by slave labor and that thousands have died doing so. For years we’ve known this.
And so here we are in 2022 with FIFA giving in to religious losers taking precedence over contractual commitments or stated values. Here we are with athletes and teams which have this chance to show it’s about more than money, and they have failed to do so. Don’t reward this evil with your money or attention.
- England, Wales & other European nations will not wear Onelove armbands
- Qatar World Cup: Beer sales banned at all game venues, FIFA confirms
- Qatar World Cup ambassador calls homosexuality “damage in the mind”
- These men helped build Qatar’s World Cup, now they are struggling to survive
- Fifa and Qatar in urgent talks after Wales rainbow hats confiscated
- US journalist Grant Wahl says he was detained in Qatar for rainbow shirt
Posted on 21 November 2022